Thursday, February 4, 2010

Sad news

Good morning, friends.

I am now in Santo Domingo, in the Dominican Republic. John and I expect to be home in Pittsburgh by 5PM or so.

I wanted to let you all know that I received word of my mother´s death yesterday. She was 93 and though she had been spry for much of the past few years, I knew that she was very tired. There may have even been a part of me that knew I would never see her again.

Before I left for Haiti, I told her that I loved her, but did not tell her of my plan to go to Haiti. She would have worried too much. And while I was gone, whenever she asked my sisters, ¨Where is Cece¨they always replied that I was at work. Which was true.

So, I leave for home with personal sadness. And though my loss is painful, I can´t help but think of those in Haiti who have lost all... family members to whom they never said farewell... children, parents, siblings. I had Mom for a long time, and she was wonderful.

I will post again from home, and wrap up this blog, when I can. Maybe next week.

Love you all,
Cece

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cece,

I am so sorry for the loss of your Mom. She sounds like she was a wonderful woman, who cared about others, much like you.

Judy

Unknown said...

Dear Cece,
I'm so sad that you lost your mom while you were away, but you are a wonderful, loving daughter who always looked out for your mom's well being, and that is how she will remember you.

I'm sure that your mom was so proud of all you accomplished. We are grateful for the selfless commitment that you made to the people of Haiti. Thank you for being you.

Love,
Judy Wehr